[OpenStack Foundation] [Diversity] re: Diversity Workgroup APAC 2015-08-27

Alexis Lee lxsli at hpe.com
Tue Sep 1 15:03:45 UTC 2015

Roland Chan said on Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 01:34:03PM +0000:
> To be clear, while I am very interested in all aspects of diversity, I am
> not active in the field of sexuality diversity. As such I may not be across
> current language usage.

Same, I learned what I know from the internet.

> As per my previous email GSRM is a new term to me and I don't see a lot of
> it in what might be broadly called mainstream media. I am concerned about
> solely using GSRM as it may require long explanatory notes, or otherwise
> confuse. Perhaps this is moot point within these communities.
>
> What do people think about a form of words that includes, essentially "GSRM
> or LGBT" with expansion of both acronyms? Obviously this increases my
> comprehension/recognition but then my comprehension is not of primary
> concern to this survey. My aim to to ensure clarity for the largest number
> of people and minimising exclusion.

Mainstream media is not where I'd reach. Of primary importance is using
the terms by which people self-identify, as you allude in your next
para. Unfortunately (from what I've read on the internet) even in the
community there's not agreement yet, so we need to make a judgment.

Here's an article discussing the problem:
https://theglobalecho.wordpress.com/2014/02/03/the-case-for-gsrm-over-lgbt/

I'd avoid the actual acronym entirely as it's not widely known. But
expanded, it becomes simple:

"Do you identify as a gender minority?"
"Do you identify as a sexual or romantic minority?"

Adding "or LGBT" seems redundant and to dilute the inclusiveness.

Alexis (lxsli)
--
Nova developer, Hewlett-Packard Limited.
Registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berkshire RG12 1HN.