[openstack-community] [upstream] call for actions to attendants, teachers and and mentors

Tim Freund tim at freunds.net
Wed May 6 13:03:57 UTC 2015

On 05/06/2015 03:50 AM, Sylvain Bauza wrote:

> Le 06/05/2015 02:23, Stefano Maffulli a écrit :
>> Hello trainers,
>>
>> I'd like to pick your brain to finalize the call to action for the
>> trainees in Vancouver.
>>
>> In past editions Loic had them start working before the session started
>> and select bugs for them to work on. I think some of them found it
>> difficult and didn't do it. It's a valuable exercise though and We can
>> ask them to do it but I don't expect many of them to do it.
>>
>> On the other hand I'd like them to focus on setting up the basic for the
>> dev environment.
>>
>> I'm drafting the message to send them on
>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/upstream-letter
>> using Loic's message as a base. Please review it and let me know by
>> tomorrow what edits it needs.
>
> While I agree with all the content, I think we need a plan B for people
> who would have trouble in installing devstack or have a slow machine.
> During the previous session we ran, that's more than an handful of
> people who were having issues in my room, basically either because they
> were only having 4GB of RAM, or because the disk was awfully slow, or
> because devstack never installed due to some weird issue that it took
> time to troubleshoot and took full time for at least 2 assistants to
> help fixing.
>
> I know it's now pretty short and I totally apologize for that, but I
> wonder if we could ask one of our sponsors to help us and gentlefully
> propose to us 50 VMs with devstack installed ?
>
> I know it's all about resources and hardware footprint, but I would
> totally be happy to explain to our students how the sponsor helped us by
> giving us nice conditions for working.

Although not as foolproof as VMs hosted in the cloud,
I have ordered several thumb drives, and I will load them with a
devstack VM disk image and virtualbox for Windows, OSX, and Linux just
in case someone arrives in Vancouver without completing this step.

This doesn't solve the problem if they have a slow machine, but it helps
us make progress if they simply didn't create a VM before arriving.

>> We have a trello board with all the participants names and details on
>> https://trello.com/b/iuJab0VH/openstack-upstream-training-queue. I think
>> the best way to use it is to wait until we meet in person in Vancouver:
>>
>> - we'll hide the no-show from that list
>> - have each participant pick the bug and add it to their trello card
>> - each participant picks a mentor (more than one participant per mentor)
>> and sets date for online meeting
>>
>> and we all keep moving the cards to the appropriate lists. Hopefully
>> this will give us more control and visibility of the results of the
>> training.
>
> Agreed. I tried to review all the cards to see if I was able to look at
> a pattern that I would understand (like "I want to work on Nova, or
> Compute, or SLA" but that's just not possible since we have more than
> 70+ cards to review.
> I'm fine with us giving visibility to the students on what we're doing,
> exactly like https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Mentors so they could
> understand who to pick based on their concerns.
>

>> ACTION: spread the word that we need more bugs tagged Low Hanging Fruit.
>> There aren't many.
>
> Nova has a little more new low-hanging-fruits and I'll keep looking at
> bugs with no owner which seem easy to me. All of that is human action,
> so I please ask any volunteer to help me on that for their specific
> project.
>

>> ACTION: review the slides! Many need some love.
>> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/community/2015-April/001126.html
>> I have started
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/training-guides,n,z
>>
>> but need help.
>
> Cool. Will do.
>

>> Anything else I'm forgetting?
>
> Legos ? Have you sorted out the delivery ?
>
>> /stef

Tim Freund
913-207-0983 | @timfreund
http://tim.freunds.net