[openstack-community] OpenStack Day Question

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri Oct 3 23:41:55 UTC 2014

On 10/03/2014 12:05 AM, Co, Dean Marc wrote:
> Agree with items below, regarding starting out small for first event,
> establishing multi-sector channels, having focused agendas for it, and
> joining up with other places.

Indeed, I also think this would be the best approach. Start small and
iterate. It's better to have one room filled over capacity than two
rooms half empty.

> Although, admittedly, it might be difficult to have a pick on the focus
> areas to promote to get our conference going and to establish channels
> is not cheap.

I think it helps to think long term: this is not the only event that you
will promote. Think of it as the *first* of a series of events. The
first one may be sold out, that means that you will be able to prepare
another one soon after and allow more people, more content etc.

> If your goals line up with the known objectives of vendors doing their
> own events, great! You have common ground. Otherwise, do continue with
> finding gaps in the event lineup of said companies. _I am sure you will
> find ways to bring practical knowledge to your community (big or
> small)_. Installing and configuring and configuration/version management
> alone of various moving projects in the OpenStack line alone is still a
> big headache especially pre-Grizzly. Add in some business perspectives
> in the discussions since this is a critical component in any technical
> discussion, as much as we may want to separate them..

Great suggestions, have a clear objective in mind and adapt it to the
local conditions. Thanks for sharing them.

> I am guilty of this in the past (well, until now once in a while :P) of
> _user group envy_ or _other companies' event reception envy_ *elsewhere*
> (/Our team hails from Philippines who have started migrating some
> operations and presence in Hong Kong and Singapore/). I used to get
> distracted when bigger, nicer, better resourced, and more mature markets
> and geographies gain such better traction in such initiatives. I realise
> companies also target markets appropriately, which in turn provide more
> trickles in sponsorship and marketing funds. Talent ecosystem (not just
> one or two or three people or companies and groups) is critical to these
> companies also.

We all make mistakes at times. It's great to learn from the past, and
from others, and keep improving.

Go Frans, we're all cheering for you!

/stef