[Foundation Board] Kata Containers launch update

Claire Massey claire at openstack.org
Thu Dec 7 19:11:29 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

This week we unveiled Kata Containers, the first project we are piloting under the Container Infrastructure strategic focus area. We wanted to let you know the launch and activities at KubeCon have been very positive and well received. Initially, the project has given the Foundation the opportunity to engage with new companies in the industry who have not historically supported OpenStack and help build bridges across the cloud native community. In the first 36 hours, we had more than 14,000 pageviews on katacontainer.io, nearly 100K impressions on Twitter, and lots of activity on WeChat. A few highlights from the press:

TechCrunch
Intel and Hyper partner with the OpenStack Foundation to launch the Kata Containers project <https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/05/intel-and-hyper-partner-with-the-openstack-foundation-to-launch-the-kata-containers-project/>
eWeek
OpenStack Launches Kata Containers Project to Improve Security <http://www.eweek.com/cloud/openstack-launches-kata-containers-project-to-improve-security>
SDx Central
OpenStack Launches Open Source ‘Kata Containers’ Project <https://www.sdxcentral.com/articles/news/openstack-launches-open-source-kata-containers-project/2017/12/>
And supportive tweets from influencers in the Kubernetes and OpenStack communities:
https://twitter.com/jessfraz/status/938087837303525382 <https://twitter.com/jessfraz/status/938087837303525382>
https://twitter.com/MayaKaczorowski/status/938182876507660289 <https://twitter.com/MayaKaczorowski/status/938182876507660289>
https://twitter.com/LachlanEvenson/status/938057796548825089 <https://twitter.com/LachlanEvenson/status/938057796548825089>
Thank you to the organizations who are supporting the launch of Kata Containers: 99cloud, AWcloud, Canonical, China Mobile, City Network, CoreOS, Dell/EMC, EasyStack, Fiberhome, Google, Intel, Huawei, Hyper.sh, JD.com, Mirantis, NetApp, Red Hat, SUSE, Tencent, Ucloud, UnitedStack and ZTE.

We’re starting to plan 2018 activities for Kata Containers and the container infrastructure area. If your organization is interested in getting involved, please let me know.

Thanks,
Claire