[openstack-community] We are OpenStack, but who is We?

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu Mar 3 17:38:13 UTC 2016

On 03/02/2016 04:08 PM, Tristan Goode wrote:
> And there lies the problem. That old time developer centric mentality that
> aggressively excludes the wonderful rest of OpenStack.

This is BS Tristan! I would expect more from a former board member.

Since very early in OpenStack, and at least from when I came on board
(during Diablo cycle) contributions to documentation have been
considered at the same level of code contributions. You don't need to be
a developer to write documentation, and contributions to manuals grant
ATC status. Same goes for translations, where members of l10n team get a
free ATC invite. Operators have received free ATC codes too...

I am left to think that you're insisting on propagating a lie about a
non-existent "developer centric mentality" or you're ignorant on
OpenStack community practice. Neither of which is a good scenario from a
community leader.

And you're still not providing any help in addressing the issue: there
are objective, *practical* obstacles to provide ATC tickets for anybody
outside of git.

Last time I checked, there was no way to pull the list of active
translators; but now that the community migrated off of transifex, it
should be doable...

Do you volunteer, since you care so much about this issue? Or provide at
least some ideas on how to objectively recognize contributions from
others, outside of git.

More doing, less venting, please.

/stef