[openstack-community] User Groups: Balancing new and experienced users

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Tue Sep 3 12:50:56 UTC 2013

On 09/01/2013 08:01 PM, Tom Fifield wrote:
> With the massive growth of OpenStack, so too have our user groups
> grown. Not just in number, or attendance, but also in their skill at
> delivering material at varying levels of complexity.
>
> With this, I felt it was high time we started a discussion on how best
> to continue to support those attendees just beginning their OpenStack
> journey while satisfying the needs of the burgeoning number of more
> advanced users.
>
> In talking with the user group leaders around the world, I've heard
> many different techniques. From running simultaneous parallel topic
> streams, alternative monthly sessions, or having a 'n00b' hour prior
> to the start of the main event.

One problem with splitting the streams is that the advanced folks forget
what it's like to be a beginner, and the gap widens. But, of course, you
also don't want to bore people with stuff they mastered ages ago. It's a
problem with many user group communities.

Something I've found very effective in the past is hands on "help the
newbie" sessions, where the advanced people are able to help beginners
through common tasks. This has many benefits, including getting more
people involved in the mentoring process. Of course, not everyone is
going to be interested/willing to do that, but having a chance to show
off your chops is motivation enough for a lot of people.

> I'm keen to hear your ideas. What do you do to manage the different
> levels of achievement of those in your community? Do you have content?
> What would you like to see?

One thing that I think a lot of new users will find helpful is "short
story" format tutorials and videos, covering one task such as adding a
compute node, adding ssh keys, or whatever, which the more advanced
users take for granted. There is, of course, a lot of such content
scattered around, but having it consolidated and organized by topic, as
well as in some kind of logical progression, would be very helpful to
someone getting started who doesn't really know what they're looking for.

Having scripts (slide decks, notes, examples, etc) that someone can use
to present to a beginning user group is also a great way to organize
thoughts, while getting content out there that can help bootstrap new
groups. Something like OpenStack Cookbook (ISBN:1849517320) may be a
good place to start with ideas for that kind of content.

--
Rich Bowen
OpenStack Community Liaison