[openstack-community] User Groups: Balancing new and experienced users

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Mon Sep 2 00:01:11 UTC 2013

With the massive growth of OpenStack, so too have our user groups grown.
Not just in number, or attendance, but also in their skill at delivering
material at varying levels of complexity.

With this, I felt it was high time we started a discussion on how best
to continue to support those attendees just beginning their OpenStack
journey while satisfying the needs of the burgeoning number of more
advanced users.

In talking with the user group leaders around the world, I've heard many
different techniques. From running simultaneous parallel topic streams,
alternative monthly sessions, or having a 'n00b' hour prior to the start
of the main event.

I'm keen to hear your ideas. What do you do to manage the different
levels of achievement of those in your community? Do you have content?
What would you like to see?

Looking forward to your thoughts,

Tom