[openstack-community] Let's Help OpenStackers in Emerging Countries

Rafael Knuth rafael.knuth at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 15:42:30 UTC 2013

Hello,

we just recently held our first OSUG in Poland with accompanying
Google+ Hangout & IRC Chat session. To our own surprise, we welcomed
attendees from 9 different countries - roughly 50 people joined us at
peak times. We are now planning monthly meetups (upcoming one will be
on July 11th) and we again will have Google+ Hangout & IRC Chat
sessions.

One of our key takeaways was that many attendees from emerging regions
like Eastern Europe, Africa and Asia Pacific were not able to join our
Google+ Hangout due to bandwidth limitations.

We spoke with OpenStackers in Ghana, Ethiopia, India and we came up
with the following idea: Why don't we transcribe our Google+ Hangout
sessions and distribute that content live via IRC? Obviously, we would
need the help a professional transcription service provider and I was
wondering if anyone would be interested to support that initiative
with a donation?

The OpenStack community would benefit in two ways:

1) We would significantly lower barriers for participants from
emerging countries.
2) In each online session we would generate a lot of written content
that could be reused in various manners - for blog posts, wikis,
localization into other languages (as we all know, it's easier to
translate texts than videos).

Our Polish OSUG would facilitate that service. What are your thoughts?
Would you be willing to support that initiative? If so, we would
hammer out the details and present you a detailed plan including exact
costs for that service.

All the best,

Rafael