[OpenStack Marketing] Metering is no more, welcome Telemetry

Lauren Sell lauren at openstack.org
Tue Dec 3 20:01:10 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I want to clarify a few points around naming and how we’re planning to move forward with Telemetry.  As a starting point, I think the majority of the subscribers on this list work within marketing departments at companies in the OpenStack ecosystem. They are participating in the community by helping promote OpenStack, as well as incorporating OpenStack messaging into their own product marketing materials where appropriate. At the highest level, we are all trying to educate new and potential users about what OpenStack is and how it can solve their business/technical problem.

With so many pieces and the rapid pace of development, this story can get complex very quickly. As OpenStack has grown in scope, we’ve shifted from talking about individual projects to broader capabilities, such as compute, storage, networking and shared services when describing OpenStack to a general audience.  We also talk about the ecosystem of commercial and open source projects that are built around and work with OpenStack. The brand that ultimately matters is "OpenStack," and we've found that getting too detailed around the breakdown of where code lives can be very confusing for many people who are beginning to get involved.

Each OpenStack component that is included in a release (an "integrated" project) has a generic name like Object Storage and a code name like Swift. The generic name is used in public references to the component such as in Documentation, the website and other material, but we don't tend to emphasize them heavily from a marketing standpoint. The code names are used by the developers, but we do not use them in official marketing communications.

The Technical Committee does not designate the generic name that we use in marketing materials. That said, the Foundation marketing team has always and will continue to work with the project teams closely as we select the generic names because we want these terms to be aligned where possible, and we obviously want the various members of the community from both disciplines to be on board and supportive of the decisions. Several of the Foundation staff participated in the TC meeting last week and agreed to try out the name Telemetry, since "Metering" no longer matches the scope or accurately describes the project. We also asked for some time to field test the name and come back if it wasn't working.

I’m glad we’re having the conversation here and appreciate any additional input.

Thanks,
Lauren