[OpenStack Foundation] [all] IRC Channel Renames

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Dec 16 18:27:22 UTC 2020

On 2020-12-16 09:03:28 +0100 (+0100), Dr. Jens Harbott wrote:
> Am Di., 15. Dez. 2020 um 19:33 Uhr schrieb Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org>:
> >
> > On 2020-12-15 12:20:58 -0600 (-0600), Ryan Beisner wrote:
> > > My $0.02 over lunch:  I think #openinfra-* would be a fitting move
> > > with the same number of digits and a recognizable moniker.
> > [...]
> >
> > The blocker there is that we can't control the #openinfra-*
> > namespace on Freenode because the #openinfra channel is already
> > taken by the separate https://opensourceinfra.org/ community.
>
> It looks to me like this is mainly a project by pleia2, fellow
> ex-infra-root, and also both the channel and the associated mailing
> list don't look too active in recent years, so maybe we can get into
> contact and consider some cooperation or possibly a handover?

It might seem like that, but there are plenty of other subscribers
still on the mailing list and people still in the IRC channel, me
among them, even if we're not terribly active in there these days.
Spencer was actually the one who registered the IRC channel (almost
5 years ago now), and Brian and Clint are also chanops in addition
to Lyz. I'm happy to reach out to them and ask whether they're
interested in having that become an Open Infrastructure Foundation
general discussion channel or something, but keep in mind that not
all the people involved in that community are necessarily fans of
OpenStack or the foundation (even some who were previously
contributors to OpenStack or to the Project Infrastructure team).

Some concern was raised in that channel in mid-2018, back around the
time OSF announced it was renaming the OpenStack Summit to the Open
Infrastructure Summit and we started coordinating Open
Infrastructure Days events. One participant cited the existence of
the then-new (but now entirely defunct) openinfra.events site as an
indication the foundation could attempt to usurp the "openinfra"
name and possibly the related IRC channel. These sentiments may
still linger.

> My fallback suggestion would be to build on the #opendev channel which
> we already have in active usage and use that as a prefix for the other
> channels.

I'd be even more concerned about this. We have enough trouble
reminding people that the OpenDev Collaboratory is a community-run
effort. For starters we're unlikely to want to give up the #opendev
channel to become a general foundation discussion channel, so will
end up fielding misdirected questions about the foundation there;
but also using lots of #opendev-* channels for foundation-specific
topics (when other foundation represented projects use their own
separate channel namespaces) would make the collaboratory seem much
more tightly coupled to the foundation staff and board of directors,
even though nearly none of the foundation's own software development
or server management happens in OpenDev.
--
Jeremy Stanley