[OpenStack Foundation] Agreement on requiring board candidates to attend the meetings, and, why didn't this dogpile dial into the last meeting?

Nick Barcet nick at enovance.com
Fri Oct 11 15:34:12 UTC 2013

My 2c on this is that making participation mandatory is ok, as long as we
also accept valid excuses for exceptional reasons, which can cover: time
compatibility, prior engagements, etc...  I've missed two board meeting
this year, one which was scheduled in the middle of my night, the other
because I had to give a presentation on the role of a board member which
was scheduled at the same time. In both case I tried to catch up
immediately after (thanks for Alan´s help).

I do think these cases (and there are certainly others) are valid reason to
be exceptionally excused and would be consider a mandatory/no excuse rule
be completely counter productive to our objectives.

Nick

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 11:19 AM, Richard Fontana <rfontana at redhat.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 03:56:35PM +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > On Fri, 2013-10-11 at 14:42 +0000, Atwood, Mark wrote:
> >
> > > And finally, for many parts of the OpenStack community, this is our
> > > *job*.  We get paid to do this.  Dialing into a Board meeting and
> > > listening in should be as important in attending as the various
> > > meetings and con calls and all-hands and stand-ups that we do for our
> > > employers.  Where were all the PTLs, the TC members, the couple of
> > > dozen other community engagement folks?
> >
> > If I wasn't on the board, and if there was a detailed summary of the
> > topics published after the meeting, then I'd read that rather than
> > dialling in just to listen.
> >
> > I do think it would be worthwhile for people to attend in-person for an
> > hour or two if they happen to be convenient to the venue, but that's
> > more from a "look these are real people, people who care about
> > OpenStack" perspective.
>
> I've attended part or all of a couple of the board meetings by phone.
>
> One thing I have found rather puzzling is the orientation towards use
> of webex, though I realize there is a backup traditional dialin. I
> have wondered whether this might have some subtle effect in
> discouraging some to attend the meetings virtually, since the natural
> assumption is that webex is going to provide some fuller experience
> (as otherwise I am not sure why it would be used at all).
>
> In the case of one meeting, I struggled without success in trying to
> use webex via two devices I had available and the annoyance of that
> experience almost led me to decide not to then dial in. I dunno,
> perhaps my experience is atypical. What precisely does webex provide
> that a traditional conference call service would not, for purposes of
> OpenStack Foundation board meetings?
>
> In the case of one of the in-person board meetings I attended by
> dialing in, it was possible to hear at best 40% or so of what was
> said.
>
> - RF

Nick Barcet <nick at enovance.com>
VP Products - eNovance