[OpenStack Foundation] Agreement on requiring board candidates to attend the meetings, and, why didn't this dogpile dial into the last meeting?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Oct 11 17:20:35 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-11 11:19:19 -0400 (-0400), Richard Fontana wrote:
> I've attended part or all of a couple of the board meetings by
> phone.
>
> One thing I have found rather puzzling is the orientation towards
> use of webex, though I realize there is a backup traditional
> dialin. I have wondered whether this might have some subtle effect
> in discouraging some to attend the meetings virtually, since the
> natural assumption is that webex is going to provide some fuller
> experience (as otherwise I am not sure why it would be used at
> all).
[...]

As someone who has only attended by phone (and in the IRC "peanut
gallery" as it were), I've not gotten the sense that I was missing
anything available only to webex participants. I'm pleased by that
so far and would personally love to see us, as a project and as a
community, stop appearing as if we're recommending proprietary,
commercial software/services for participation... particularly for
something as high-profile as board meetings.
--
Jeremy Stanley