[OpenStack Foundation] Proposals for individual board election

ben duyujie.dyj at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 21:03:15 UTC 2012

? 2012?10?26? 19:01, Hui Cheng ??:
> [...]
>
> The idea behind my thoughts is that it is easier to increase the
> barrier of the minor candidates and keep it eligible meritocracy  than
> to set higher barriers for the whole individual members, because the
> latter involves 6000+ members.
>
> Regarding the video record, I would admit lack of thorough
> consideration, the type of barrier maybe not suitable or practical for
> all candidates, so I would agree it should not be required. Thanks for
> your indication.
>
> But still, I would rather insist that a public statement should be
> required, it's original intention is not for campaign, but sort of way
> to make candidates show their involvement and contribution in
> OpenStack, as well as his their understanding of OpenStack Foundation
> and future plan to further achieve foundation's mission,  thereby
> facilitating voter to make his own choice.
>
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com
> <mailto:markmc at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, 2012-10-26 at 09:24 +0800, Hui Cheng wrote:
>     > Hi all:
>     >
>     > ** **
>     >
>     > Until now we already have tons of discussions regarding the
>     individual
>     > board member election, and we have some meaningful proposals
>     from the
>     > following discussions:****
>     >
>     > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/openstack/foundation/19569****
>     >
>     > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/openstack/foundation/19675****
>     >
>     > ** **
>     >
>     > From my understanding, most proposals are focusing on how to
>     increase
>     > the barrier for becoming individual members and limit one single
>     > company's undue board control.****
>     >
>     > ** **
>     >
>     > In the initial board election, everyone can be nominated by
>     everyone, it is
>     > really easy for someone to get at least 10 nominators, thus to be
>     > a candidate, and then voting began. Thus any incapable person can be
>     > elected in such kind of process.****
>
>     Thanks for posting your thoughts on this. None of your ideas or crazy
>     but, like Ryan, I'd be wary of requiring people to publish a video.
>
>     However, I think you've focused on the wrong thing. The main issue is
>     not that we had too many incapable candidates, nor that those elected
>     are incapable, but that we had large numbers of people affiliated
>     with a
>     small number of companies voting for employees of their company.
>
>     The issue isn't so much the correlation between affiliation and voting
>     pattern either IMHO, but just the sheer number of people doing so.

Yes, that's the main issue for the individual board
election.Bothincrease barrierfor the candidates and public statement is
not useful for this issue, so they can be options, not required.

>     Personally, I just wonder why 600+ people from an individual company
>     should have voting rights in the election. In the cases of e.g.
>     the Red
>     Hat and Cisco OpenStack teams, it was only those actively involved
>     with
>     the project who joined the Foundation and voted.

If the company has more than 600+ people who want to join the
Foundation, why not joined the Platinum or Gold members first? No
sponsored but want to have a seat is unfair for the small companies and
other sponsors, as they have a lot of electoral resources.