[OpenStack Foundation] Financial aid to members (was Re: Board Meeting - October 15th)

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Sun Oct 14 15:42:12 UTC 2012

On 10/14/2012 12:01 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 8:11 PM, Tristan Goode <tristan at aptira.com
> <mailto:tristan at aptira.com>> wrote:

[snip]

>     PS.
>     Not on this topic but while we're discussing the
>     internationalisation of Openstack, @mikal suggested a great idea to
>     me yesterday. A sponsored travel program could be introduced for
>     people whose location is more remote and who are significantly
>     contributing to code. They may be independent or perhaps work for
>     companies that cannot, or will not, send them to summits.
>
> +1
>
> The PSF has a similar "financial aid" program for attendees of PyCon US.
> I don't know the particulars, but can put you in touch with the people
> who do, if you're interested.

I think this is probably a separate discussion (hence the change of
subject line above), although having a strong definition of what makes
someone eligible to be an individual member might be an input into the
funding process -- if being a member meant you'd contributed to
openstack in some meaningful way, then you just open the financial aid
process up to members in need.

What I was going for here was a way to encourage up and coming people --
students and unaffiliated contributors. These people are a good hiring
pool for the companies paying people to work on openstack, but its also
in our best interests to attract as many excellent developers as
possible just for the code / other stuff they contribute.

Mikal