[OpenStack Foundation] Nomination Process Updates

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Aug 1 23:45:36 UTC 2012

On 08/01/2012 06:25 PM, George Reese wrote:
> It's not about Ben or me or anyone else questioning the integrity of any
> individual person.
>
> It's about the perception of how OpenStack governance is handled. If all
> independent board seats are held by corporate sponsors, the integrity of
> OpenStack governance will constantly be in question.

Yes. I agree - and I want nothing more than for the governance to be
excellent.

> And the reality is that no matter how well intentioned you are, your
> employer DOES exert influence over you and can leverage your individual
> membership to gain undue influence over OpenStack.

Nope. Still don't stipulate this point. If a vote came up to the board
that would cost HP a billion dollars but that made sense for OpenStack
and is something I would vote for it I worked elsewhere,  I would still
vote for it without blinking an eye.

I will stipulate that in general, it is possible that employers do exert
influence over employees, and that policy might need to take that in to
account. I will not stipulate that employers always influence employees.