[OpenStack Foundation] Hello...

Robyn Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
Wed Oct 12 13:23:28 UTC 2011

On 10/12/2011 06:03 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Jay Pipes wrote:
>> I'd like to see some discussion regarding what initial functions will
>> move to a foundation first? Legal and trademark policy stuff,
>> copyright and patent management sound like good beginning efforts.
> Ideally we should split those questions into separate threads, otherwise
> all the discussion will end up on one thread ;)
Is the plan to keep legal "stuff" on the Foundation list, or to actually
have a separate mailing list?

It feels as though there is going to be a huge list of questions/topics
- I think Jay has hit on a number of points, and it's probably just the
beginning.  Maybe it would be a good idea to take a week or so and just
gather questions / concerns on-list - and then get a volunteer (yeah, I
just did that) to group those that are similar into discussion topics?
If there is a solid list, topics could be handled week-by-week, or at
least in an organized fashion on a mailing list (ie: [GroupingNameHere]
in subject).

I hate to say, "We need to discuss how to organize the discussion" - but
it seems like a bit of up-front organization will help, especially when
I have a sneaking suspicion that this list may have a high volume of
input.  A schedule, a plan, and some lightweight organization can really
help avoid governance discussions becoming endless mailing-list threads
with nothing actionable going on, and instead provides everyone with a
bit accountability, and generally helps in Getting Things Done.

Just throwing in my $.02 in the name of saving everyone from things I've
seen before :)

-Robyn