[OpenStack Foundation] Employees and Officers

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 13:53:30 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
> From Jay's original email:
>> Should the foundation even have employees, or should foundation roles
>> simply be employees of donor organizations, with their salaries
>> composing some part of foundation membership dues?
>
> I'd say both options are on the table, and they don't have to be
> exclusive. Someone working full-time on Foundation-owned tasks (see
> "Scope of Foundation" thread) should be considered working on the
> Foundation.

Sure. But I'd like to see specifically what are the roles that would
be proposed to be employees of the foundation...

General Counsel?
Release Manager?
Community Manager/Advocate?
Web Developer for openstack.org domain(s)?
Infrastructure Engineer(s)?
Human Resources Generalist or Recruiter?

> In the same area, will the foundation need specific officers
> (delegations of power from the board of directors or technical board) ?
> Or can it all be run from the boards themselves ? What would be those
> roles ? I'm a big fan of letting people do the work and impose
> themselves as the natural person in charge (rather than be appointed and
> not necessarily do the work well), but in this precise case it may fall
> a bit short...

Well, see above... the alternative to having specific employee roles
designated as foundation employees is to have the foundation have X
number of full-time employees, with those employees working on their
stuff that meets their natural strengths?

-jay