[Foundation Board] [Board][Kata] Informal call with Kata Containers leadership - August 15th @ 15:00 UTC - Follow up.

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 16:18:44 UTC 2022

Greetings everyone,

Just following up from our call which ended moments ago.

Overall it was a great call, and provided good insight into where Kata
is at, and where it is going, as well as some of the current
challenges.

Unfortunately, We did not determine a good time to meet again as the
call did run a bit longer than I think we were originally planning and
we started to have people who needed to move on to their next calls.
We will need to follow-up and do that, however it seemed like in about
three months might be viable.

Specifically, two challenges were noted that the Board can help with:
* CI Resources - Specifically CI is mainly run on one of the major
public clouds through some resource donations. This is primarily as
nested virtualization is a requirement in this case.
** Two of the board members on the call were from different OpenStack
operators and are going to investigate
** Additionally, some of us are going to try and raise nested virt as
a topic for OpenDev during the upcoming PTG, in regards of maybe
finding a way to provide a "Nested Virt only" sort of flag/constraint
which will have a wider benefit.

* Raising awareness/feedback loop - Kata has expressed difficulty in
obtaining feedback and raising awareness. Mainly they are finding
operators who make use of the software, generally don't talk about
their use cases and their successes. Most awareness of major successes
takes a pattern of $amazing_detail being mentioned in passing. This is
something which the board may wish to discuss further and possibly
brainstorm, as this is a challenge which is not unique to Kata.

Thanks everyone!

-Julia