[openstack-community] Chinese Ask OpenStack

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Wed Sep 14 06:48:55 UTC 2016

On 09/11/2016 12:09 AM, Ian Y. Choi wrote:
> I am one of OpenStack Korea user group organizers.
>
> On the other hand, I really wanted to open ask.o.o for Korean
> (e.g., ask.openstack.org/ko/questions ) but I am not familiar how I can
> create or request this site.

I can elaborate on this topic, since I have followed the initial steps
of Ask OpenStack when it launched. That site exists partially because
StackExchange denied OpenStack to create something like ask.ubuntu.com
for us, and partially because I really wanted to have ask.openstack.org
in multiple languages.

During my tenure as community manager, the Foundation sponsored the
improvement of the support for non-latin alphabets, with Chinese,
Japanese and Korean as first targets.

But once we launched the site in Chinese, we realized that the way we
managed the site, we couldn't add more languages without increasing
dramatically the risk of breaking everything. The resources to fix the
situation were never enough to make a dramatic impact and therefore the
site has been making slow progress over the years, focusing on
stability, operational solidity and spam-prevention/fix.

Despite having an extremely high ranking on search engines for common
openstack issues in English, ask.openstack.org never had enough
development resources to grow to the other languages.

> So my general idea is to support more languages on ask.o.o, and
> encourage more OpenStack members to use ask.o.o globally.

I think this is still a very fair request but the answer can only be in
the Foundation or volunteers in the community, since the whole software
and infrastructure behind ask.openstack.org is open source. Languages
can be added and tested on the staging site quite easily... in theory at
least (the documentation is a bit sparse, with
http://askbot.org/doc/multilingual.html#multilingual and
http://askbot.org/doc/text-search.html#text-search being a starting
point)... but once you activate Korean language, then you'll have a
whole new site to manage... and I'm not sure what resources will be
available to fix bugs that inevitably will pop up.

/stef