[openstack-community] Proposal: remove voting on speaking proposals for Barcelona Summit

Nick Chase nchase at mirantis.com
Thu May 19 22:26:01 UTC 2016

On 5/19/2016 4:40 PM, Florian Haas wrote:
> So to summarize, it looks like there are four options currently being discussed:
>
> (1) Keep everything exactly as it has been (this implies rejecting
> Claire's original proposal to drop voting).
> (2) Drop voting, put everything in the track chairs' hands.
> (3) Use some form of random talk selection, in combination with
> submission pre-filtering and public comments.
> (4) Use an approach where speakers vote on a random subset of talks
> and rank them, also with public comments.
You forgot:

(5)  Keep everything as-is but change the "voting" to "commenting"
(6)  Keep voting but prevent social spam by removing static URLs
(7)  Change the voting structure ...
(8)  etc...

In other words, there are a LOT of options being discussed here, to be
honest.  It's not as simple as just "should we vote or not".  In fact,
we've left out the simplest version:

(9)  Keep everything as-is but make it more clear that the votes are
just a guideline

I'm not sure the best way to proceed here from a problem-solving
standpoint, to be honest.   I'd suggest that we had people come up with
concrete proposals for up/down votes, but that's kind of what we've been
doing here and the options have expanded rather than contracting. :)

----  Nick