[openstack-community] Proposal: remove voting on speaking proposals for Barcelona Summit

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Thu May 19 01:23:04 UTC 2016

On 19/05/16 03:10, Richard Raseley wrote:

>> On May 17, 2016, at 2:13 PM, Florian Haas <florian at hastexo.com <mailto:florian at hastexo.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I have previously suggested a different approach: improve the *quality*
>> of voting drastically, rather than abolish it altogether.
>>
>> Now what follows isn't a voting process of my own design. We owe the
>> idea to a couple of professors of astronomy, who explain their approach
>> in a paper and a couple of interviews, all of which are linked from here:
>>
>> https://plus.google.com/+FlorianHaas/posts/MsswaBHramG
>>
>> (Please note: I have deliberately disabled comments on that post, in an
>> attempt to keep the discussion here on this list, where it belongs.)
>>
>> If you care about the process, please take a few minutes to review at
>> least both videos linked from that post. If you're *really* interested,
>> read the article as well -- but for the purposes of this discussion, the
>> videos should suffice.
>
> Florian,
>
> I appreciate your comments in this thread and agree with them nearly entirely.
>
> I think those who want to completely eliminate the vote, while well intentioned, would be doing a disservice to the community and ultimately OpenStack itself.
>
> I very strongly support the idea of evolving the voting process to try to enhance its value rather than doing away with it entirely. The method you’ve proposed seems like a reasonable place to start.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard

I'm actually really starting to like Florian's proposed method, with one exception: I don't like the idea of limiting it to talk submitters. The reason I say this is that, before I was a PTL, I submitted talks to every summit. That stopped when I became a PTL because, quite simply, I spend most of my time running sessions in the Design Summit, only popping over to the main conference for the talks I absolutely don't want to miss. I think by limiting the voting to only people submitting talks, you will miss the voice of people who deliberately *don't* submit a talk, because they're massively invested in other aspects of the conference, especially those on the more technical side of the house.

Perhaps, instead of limiting it to talk submitters, maybe make it available to a different subset: people who have attended previously, maybe?

Lana

--
Lana Brindley
Technical Writer