[openstack-community] Proposal: remove voting on speaking proposals for Barcelona Summit

Richard Raseley richard at raseley.com
Wed May 18 17:10:33 UTC 2016

> On May 17, 2016, at 2:13 PM, Florian Haas <florian at hastexo.com> wrote:
>
> I have previously suggested a different approach: improve the *quality*
> of voting drastically, rather than abolish it altogether.
>
> Now what follows isn't a voting process of my own design. We owe the
> idea to a couple of professors of astronomy, who explain their approach
> in a paper and a couple of interviews, all of which are linked from here:
>
> https://plus.google.com/+FlorianHaas/posts/MsswaBHramG <https://plus.google.com/+FlorianHaas/posts/MsswaBHramG>
>
> (Please note: I have deliberately disabled comments on that post, in an
> attempt to keep the discussion here on this list, where it belongs.)
>
> If you care about the process, please take a few minutes to review at
> least both videos linked from that post. If you're *really* interested,
> read the article as well -- but for the purposes of this discussion, the
> videos should suffice.

Florian,

I appreciate your comments in this thread and agree with them nearly entirely.

I think those who want to completely eliminate the vote, while well intentioned, would be doing a disservice to the community and ultimately OpenStack itself.

I very strongly support the idea of evolving the voting process to try to enhance its value rather than doing away with it entirely. The method you’ve proposed seems like a reasonable place to start.

Regards,

Richard