[openstack-community] We are OpenStack, but who is We?

Christian Berendt christian at berendt.io
Sun Feb 28 10:00:01 UTC 2016

Hello Pierre.

On 02/18/2016 06:32 PM, Pierre Freund wrote:
> "We are OpenStack", but you know what, I don't really feel to be part of
> this "We". And I think I'm not the only ops folks feeling this.

I think a lot of people feel like you.

> At the last summit, I went to the ambassador's session to speak about
> this. My point was that people spending time for the community should
> have an easier access to the summit by giving them "Active Community
> Contributors" Pass. The only answer I had was "If you can't afford the
> ticket, use the travel program".

The Osops project should make it easier for ops to receive a summit ticket.

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Osops

> Then, I went to the "feedback session" of the summit, and said that I
> was really involved in OpenStack, and I deserved an "Active Ops
> Contributor" badge. Everybody agreed. The ATC program is B.R.O.K.E.N.

Confirmed.

> My only solution? Make a bullshit commit, correct something in the docs,
> correct a typo in a comment… not very interesting. Here is one of my
> $1200 single character commit: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/20076/ .
> And this makes me an "Active Contributor" for two summits??

Every commit is important, documentation commits are important. A commit
has not to be interessting. Please do not grade down simple commits.
Every single commit improves the overall quality of OpenStack.

> And what about people helping local user groups?

They should be honrored and supported. It is a shame that the foundation
has more than 20 million US Dollars for 2016 and a single user group
(independent of there size) only receives 500 US Dollars / year to
support celebration activities. Ambassadors spend a lot of time, they
have to travel, the receive nothing. Ambassadors are not hired by the
foundation, we are even not allowed to use official @openstack.org mail
addresses. User group organizers are not supported, ...

Christian.