[openstack-community] Status of Groups portal (was Re: Fwd: [Foundations] Meetup.com spam warning)

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri Sep 26 17:06:43 UTC 2014

On September 26, 2014 9:12:02 AM PDT, Sean Roberts  .

>I thought the groups tool being built by Martin was going to integrate
>with meetup and other sources of user group sharing rather than
>replace. Replacing would shrink our community and would impact the
>momentum of attracting new people.

This is still the plan: not replace what is already working. If meetup.com works for you then fine, but groups can offer an alternative if desired or necessary.

Currently for the groups that use meetup.com the Groups portal imports the list of events automatically using meetup api. If you look at the groups.OpenStack.org you'll see a list of events imported. We can do more, we will have to discuss the next phase of the project as soon as we have the concept of "users" and roles in the portal.

>Can we discuss the group's portal implementation plan with the
>ambassadors to start and then the rest of the community? I am realizing
>that this is going to impact us in a big way and I don't know much about it

We sure can. Let's pick a date and time next week, I'm fairly open.

Stef