[openstack-community] Country/region stats

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Mon Oct 21 19:45:07 UTC 2013

On 10/19/2013 11:39 AM, Marton Kiss wrote:
> We are developing the community portal as a Foundation project, and we
> have exact plans to extract UG related data easily.

For everybody: the project is hosted on
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/groups, the development
version is on http://groups-dev.openstack.org/ and blueprints are on
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-community/+spec/community-portal

> As I know foundation
> have another project that will provide some form of OpenID
> authentication based on Foundation membership, in the 2nd phase (after
> the summit) I want to integrate this feature into the portal, so we can
> link members to local user groups.

Indeed, we're working on a Single Sign On authentication provider. I'm
adding the relevant blueprints on
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-ci/+spec/sso-openid-provider

> I think we can sit down in Hong Kong
> to discuss the details, what type of analytic data is important to us.
> (local group and geographic region trends can be a super-cool feature here)

I think the reporting project is a separate one, actually. The groups
portal and the SSO/Identity tool are IMHO "source" of data: we need to
have good source for activities and be able to track generic 'things'.

To answer the original question by Tristan, I agree that the Foundation
should enrich the reports it publishes now with geographic data. The
only reason why this is not happening at the moment is that the database
we have at the moment is not exporting geographic information. The
Foundation has the data, we don't have a way to export it and represent
it in a meaningful way.

I think we could hack something together rapidly to have a cute map but
given that there there are people reworking heavily on reporting systems
let's have a more comprehensive conversation in HK like Marton suggests
and let's build a set of specs for adding the geographic dimension to
the Activity Board. The first step to do is to list a set of questions
we want to find answers for on it: Tristan, want to start a wiki page or
send an email with those?

thanks,
stef