[openstack-community] OpenStack Groups Portal -- Status Update

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri Nov 22 17:09:26 UTC 2013

Hello all,

we've been working with Marton Kiss on a new portal for User Groups
around the world. The scope of the portal is to improve discoverability
of groups, leaders, speakers and to better highlight activities within
the groups themselves.

The portal was briefly demoed in Hong Kong and I think it's time to send
a more comprehensive update of the status of the project.

Marton is working on completing the Openstack theming, as there are
still some minor theming bugs and he's working on the adaptive design.
Other small details missing are the map in the home page and a simple
group search field that helps visitors to find the nearby user groups.

Before we release an alpha we also want to have a simple way for people
to add content via git/gerrit, like the Organizer Tips (what now is on
the wiki, UserGroupsHowTo).

Before we to release alpha on groups.openstack.org, we need to prepare
the infrastructure manifests to include git tag based deployment and
module upgrade feature without database cleanup (currently the staging
always produces a clean deployment to avoid content or module level
errors caused by previous testing version).

The final version of the User Groups Portal will need to use the OpenID
provider being developed at the Foundation. That's a different project
for which I'll send a status update later (short version: it's still not
publicly available).

As soon as we'll have an alpha version of the UG Portal we'll be able to
start thinking about aggregating in it data coming from meetup.com and
other sources. For example, Marton already found a module to integrate
meetup.org (https://drupal.org/project/meetup_events); the author of
that module is a member of the Openstack community, and he offered us a
help to integrate this module into the community portal, and extend the
module based on our requests. (community power seems to be working here :)

Marton is also doing an amazing job reaching out to the Drupal community
at large, to let them know about our effort and to show off the
integration we've done with Gerrit/Jenkins for CI/CD. Pretty good
example of why choosing open source tools for our infrastructure is a
good thing.

If you want to start getting familiar with the upcoming portal check out
the development site http://groups-dev.openstack.org/ and the git
repository http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/groups. Marton
is mrkiss on IRC, I'm reed if you have any questions.

Cheers,
stef