[openstack-community] [Ambassador] Continuing our discussion on-list

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Tue Nov 19 00:16:59 UTC 2013

Hi Ambassadors (and interested friends),

It's time to continue our discussions of yore on the mailing list, as
promised.

Attached is Colin's brainstorming diagram, and below is the text
mentioned that "Tom has".

One of the first things we need to work out is how we're going to manage
comms. Suggestions so far have been:
* an ambassador at ...openstack... alias that goes to every ambassador
** This could be implemented using a new mailing list, or perhaps by
making a queue on the existing support ticket system

* regional aliases (ambassador-{apac, eu, us}@...openstack...), that
ambassadors in those regions can use in preference to their personal
email address when listing on websites, and share the load between
multiple ambassadors

* ...

Regards,

Tom

Problems:
* The lack of a defined communications structure results in a lack of
information coming from the communities – be it feedback from users,
requests for assistance or content, promotion of local deployments and
activities, adoption rates etc

* User Group leaders are not supported to promote the aims of the
foundation and OpenStack

* Many User Groups are at low levels of maturity, which can result in a
poor experience for attendees

* There is only a small facility for community leaders to participate
with their global counterparts

Objectives:
1. Creation of structured communication between the Foundation, global
OpenStack community and the members and associates of user groups
worldwide, providing insight into regional activity while spreading key
messages

2. Increased amount of contributors to activities related to
localisation, such as translation

3. Increased quality of user groups

4. Increased accessibility of participation in governance activities

5. A gained understanding of user group funding needs, with increased
ability to provision funds where most impact is seen

6. Increased adoption of OpenStack, and strengthening of the OpenStack brand