[openstack-community] Openstack user group in Singapore

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Wed Mar 27 18:03:55 UTC 2013

Hi Stefano,

On 03/27/2013 01:21 PM, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> This is something the OpenStack Foundation needs to investigate. These
> domains (and openstack-sg.com) need to be owned by the foundation as the
> trademark is owned by the Foundation, not by Rackspace.

Interesting - in the GNOME project we have a trademark process for
community groups, which includes permission to register domain names
containing the trademark, subject to certain terms and conditions. My
understanding is that the site does not need to be owned by the
foundation, but that the foundation must approve each use of its
trademarks - not quite the same thing.

Would there be a possibility to include using an OpenStack related URL
in the OpenStack trademark policy:
http://www.openstack.org/brand/openstack-trademark-policy/ or perhaps
create a community group trademark agreement for user groups?

The current agreement says:
"Third parties may use the OpenStack Word Mark in publications [...]
provided that:
[...]
You do not apply to register or register any term comprised or
consisting of in whole or in part the OpenStack Word Mark or any
confusingly similar mark as trademarks, service marks, corporate names,
trade names or domain names, Internet keywords, metatags, or trigger
words to lead to a website or other Internet destination."

This seems very broad, considering the extent to which OpenStack has
been adopted in URLs and metatags to assist in SEO. Something which
allows fan sites and local user group sites to sprout up would be, I
think, better.

Thanks,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - Community Action and Impact
Ph: +33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13