[openstack-community] Openstack user group in Singapore

billy am wickedpuppy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 01:48:21 UTC 2013

Hi Stefano ,

                  Thank you so much for the clarification. I can then
reasonably say that RackSpace owning openstack.sg and
openstack.com.sgdomains are for purely commercial/trademark reasons on
their own and not
relating to openstack.org or community-at-large. Its fine by me.

                   If nobody has done it then I have. I have initiated one
on wiki and we'll see how it goes from there. I would like to say a big
thank you to Atul and to Stefano for helping me and removing my doubts on
sensitive matters. I am sure I would need more help in future :)

                   Perhaps right now , I should do a quick and proper intro
about myself as well as my sincere apology for not doing that from the
start.

                   I have been involved with OpenSource since my Secondary
school (High School in US) days and been involved in various groups in
Singapore such as Linux Users Group and so on. I have also initiated Ubuntu
loco group in Singapore , pls kindly refer to my signature , and have been
actively participating since it was started. I could be contacted on
Freenode channel #ubuntu-sg or facebook page (for both teams) , as well as
this email. Of course , I am also on launchpad.

Regards
Billy

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 3:58 AM, Stefano Maffulli <stefano at openstack.org>wrote:

> On 03/26/2013 06:12 AM, billy am wrote:
>
>> I ask for it because if rackspace is starting a group or interested in
>> starting one in SG then I don't have to go through all these troubles.
>>

> There have been messages about starting a group in Singapore at different
> times but until there is one on the wiki we can assume that one doesn't
> exist :)
>
> Hunter Nied from morphlabs expressed interest in the past.
>
> There may be also more people from Singapore that can help you on the APEC
> google group
>
> https://groups.google.com/**forum/?hl=en-US&fromgroups#!**
> forum/openstack-apec-group-**discussion<https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-US&fromgroups#!forum/openstack-apec-group-discussion>
>

>  Its either the parent company starts the ball rolling or it supports the
>> group. Case in point would be Canonical , as you can see from my
>> signature , which provides legitmacy to Ubuntu loco team in SG. There is
>> no point starting a group then and realised the parent company is also
>> doing the same thing.
>>

> Rackspace is no parent company of OpenStack: Rackspace is a sponsor of the
> OpenStack Foundation, just as Canonical and other companies are. Anybody
> can create an OpenStack user group, they are and should always be totally
> separated from commercial interests. The user groups should be the place
> where people go to learn about OpenStack and share their knowledge with
> their peers.
>
> Maybe we can make it more clear on the
> https://wiki.openstack.org/**wiki/OpenStackUserGroups/HowTo<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpenStackUserGroups/HowTo>
> **.
>
> /stef

Team Ubuntu Singapore

Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SingaporeTeam
IRC: #ubuntu-sg on irc.freenode.net
Forum : Singapore Team - Ubuntu
Forums<http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=433>
Website: http://ubuntu.sg/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/ubuntu.sg

VSP 5 , MCSA (Security) , MCSA , CCNA , LPIC - Lvl 1 , Security+ ,
 Network+ , A+