[openstack-community] Ask OpenStack - what to do with Orphaned Questions

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Mon Jul 29 21:40:13 UTC 2013

On 07/26/2013 05:48 PM, Tom Fifield wrote:
> In order to retain the usefulness of Ask for searching and listing
> questions (especially enabling people to find unanswered questions to
> answer), should we be closing these style of questions after a certain
> time period?

I've been thinking about this and at the moment the conclusion I came to
is not to close these sort of questions. Orphaned questions, that is,
questions where the person asking originally has disappeared, can always
be edited by others, they can be voted up and in general may provide a
way to engage with the community more if they are left open than if
they're closed.

What may be a better way to deal with the problem of questions that
cannot be answered because the person asking doesn't respond is to
publish requests for debugging details in the answer. This will trigger
the periodic reminders to accept the best answer (a feature currently
disabled but that we can activate). We can define how many reminders to
send to accept the best answer (default is 5) and the frequency (default
every 3 days).

The partial answer (like "try this and let us know") is better than no
answer at all and may help others in the future with similar issues.

What do you think?
/stef