[openstack-community] Pre & Post Summit events in Asia

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Mon Jul 15 12:29:38 UTC 2013

Hi Tom,

My suggestion would be:

On 07/15/2013 03:45 AM, Tom Fifield wrote:
> 1) Format of event - a dedicated event, or possibly tied in with another
> conference

A single day of sessions with experts, which would be repeated for each
venue. It is possible that for certain topics, a local expert would be
better to have a smaller number of people travelling.

> 2) Who are the people? Foundation Staff? PTL? Core Developers? Other?
> ==> Need to know this before organising the event
> ==> Posting on openstack-dev may be the next step?

I would invite people covering both the technical and commercial
universe surrounding OpenStack - covering an introduction to OpenStack &
IaaS, Nova, storage, networking & network services, service
orchestration, emerging technologies (measurement, provisioning, image
services, ...)

Then, plan the road show for the week after the Summit, with an event
every second day in SW Asia - this would be a considerable time
commitment for the people involved, so it would make sense for the
foundation & organisers to sponsor both accommodation and travel for the
speakers. This also would require of participants to basically take 2
weeks leave from their companies, families & other duties, so I can
imagine that many potential participants will not be eager to sign up.

I can imagine that some potential participants would be interested if it
were a client engagement, so perhaps a budget to pay some speakers would
be appropriate too?

> 3) How to get the experts to come
> ==> Maybe: hosting the event in a holiday area, or encouraging them to
> have a holiday there
> ==> Maybe: asking the Foundation, or other sponsors for some funding for
> airfares/accommodation

I think that sponsoring flights é accommodation (for the type of format
I'm proposing) is common decency. The big issue would be whether you
will be able to find people to take so much time out of their lives,
especially after already taking a week to be in Hong Kong.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - Community Action and Impact
Ph: +33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13