[openstack-community] Setting up Upstream Training in Tokyo [upstream]

Tim Freund tim at freunds.net
Wed Jul 29 20:29:17 UTC 2015

On 07/27/2015 02:02 PM, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> Ideally, we want the applicants to start studying before they show up to
> be trained, so that they have already good questions to ask and doubts
> to clear. Also, they'd manage to engage with trainers and mentors ahead
> of time. In this ideal world, as soon as someone expresses interest in
> Upstream Training, that person is matched with a mentor and starts
> getting ready.
>
> I'm thinking that this time instead of Eventbrite we may use a google
> Form to collect candidates and engage them with mentors immediately, as
> they sign up. We may quickly put something together with Forms, IFTT or
> zapier and Trello.
>
> The process would look like this:
>
> 1) signup on Google Forms, zapier creates a new card on Trello with the
> details.
> 2) mentor picks up the card, engages with candidate, looks for a bug to
> work on, sets a communication channel (IRC preferrably):
>
> - if candidate engages, the spot is assigned and training continues in Tokyo
> - if candidate doesn't respond to mentor, the card is marked 'inactive'
> and the spot considered free for Tokyo
>
> 3) after the in person training in Tokyo, mentorship continues and cards
> are moved forward as the trainee progresses.
>
> How does this look?

That sounds like a good plan.  If we can get a lot of the mundane
details out of the way before class, we can focus more attention on the
OpenStack specific details.

I started a Google form to collect information.  What am I missing and
what should I change?

http://goo.gl/forms/qAr3N8rdYs

One thought when we open registration:  we can change the text of that
form to warn students that we are putting them on a waiting list once we
have exhausted all of our open positions.

I'll get something started that will let us sync the form results to
trello for progress tracking.

Concerning mentors:  should the automation automatically assign a mentor
based on student interest area and mentor load?  (Perhaps allow mentors
to say how many students they are comfortable working with, and
auto-assign up to that number.)

Thanks,

Tim

--