[openstack-community] Release of Tokyo Summit Voting Results

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri Aug 28 17:24:52 UTC 2015

On 08/28/2015 08:42 AM, Tristan Goode wrote:
> It would be valuable to see what the wider community is voting for.

There is an assumption in this sentence that I personally consider not true and it's dangerous to assume it to be true before it can be proven.

I don't think the 'wider community' votes, only a very vocal minority does. My impression, that I wish could be (dis)proven, is that votes come from twitter-active people and from loyalists in large corporations.

If we had the data we may be able prove this assumption by checking for example if the higher amount of votes went to the proposals pushed by corporations with an organized marketing machine.

> I was a track chair once upon a time and I completely ignored all the votes

That's what I've always done too. I ignore votes as a track chair.

I think the voting process is a celebration of our community, a party, a ritual to get into the 'summit season; it's not a useful tool to evaluate proposals.

It's not broken and doesn't need fixing, because its celebratory purpose is well accomplished IMHO.

/stef