[openstack-community] Let's Help OpenStackers in Emerging Countries

Rafael Knuth rafael.knuth at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 20:45:06 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 8:07 PM, Stefano Maffulli <stefano at openstack.org> wrote:

> Rafael Knuth <rafael.knuth at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I absolutely agree with you Sean. We should use
>>irc:openstack-community for the accompanying text-only transcript and
>>a general OpenStack community YouTube channel as a Hangout target
>>would be awsome.
>
> I'm happy to see this experiment run in real life, I'd love my gut feeling to be wrong. My main concern is that it would create a separation between first class citizens that have the full speed experience and second/third class ones that will have to use a worse system. Do I understand correctly that you want to use a live transcription service like a close caption system to transcribe live on irc what is being told on hangout? I'm assuming you would use Hangout as a broadcast system, muting all participants and let only the presenter talk, right?

I would use Google+ Hangouts in exactly the same manner as usual with
multiple speakers and such. No changes here. As for the transcript
part on IRC - yes, I would do that the way you described it. I
understand your concerns, but please note that this idea was born in
conversations with people in emerging countries and they were excited
about it.

Anyways, I wish to see that experiment run in real life, too. The
proof of the pudding is in the eating.

>> It's good to have all content from online sessions in
>>one place.
>
> We can use the foundation's YouTube channel.

Makes perfectly sense to me, I forgot there already is a foundation
YouTube channel.

>> I will do some research over the next few days: Who would
>>be able to provide that transcription service as I described it?
>
> I don't know any, sorry.

No worries, I will handle that.