[OpenStack Foundation] Becoming an Open Source Initiative affiliate org

Hosam Al Ali a.hosam at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 17:06:43 UTC 2019

+1

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019, 6:48 PM Jay Bryant <jungleboyj at gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 from me.  This clearly seems to go with the spirit of OpenStack and
> Open Infrastructure.
>
> Jay
>
> On 2/6/2019 9:53 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Over the past year, the definition of "open source" has been under
> > attack, as some enterprises wanted to change the licensing of their
> > software while continuing to reap the benefits of calling it open
> > source, or at least being confused with open source.
> >
> > That makes the work of the Open Source Initiative (OSI) more important
> > than ever. They have been the steadfast guardians of that definition
> > for over 20 years, approving software licenses that were following the
> > definition, while informing people and discouraging license
> > proliferation.
> >
> > This is very much in line with the OpenStack Foundation objectives, so
> > I'd like to propose that the OpenStack Foundation becomes an affiliate
> > organization of the OSI. Other open source foundations, like the
> > Mozilla Foundation, Eclipse Foundation, Linux Foundation, Python
> > Software Foundation or Perl Foundation are already affiliates.
> >
> > You can learn more about the process at:
> > https://opensource.org/affiliates/about
> >
> > Does anyone have concerns with that, before we proceed ?
> >
> > On a personal note... I think that today, open source is necessary,
> > but not sufficient: we also need to define standards on how open
> > source software is built, not just how the resulting software is
> > licensed. However that work cannot happen unless we base it on a
> > strong open source definition, and participating as an OSI affiliate
> > would give us opportunities to have those new standardization
> > discussion at that level.

*Hosam** Al Ali*

Senior UNIX/Linux System Administrator / OpenStack Cloud Admin - SITA -
Saudi Arabia
KCM100 - COA - OCM100 - OCM50 - SCSA - SCNA - SCSECA - MCSAM - MCSE  Riyadh
11623, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia ("SITA/NIC")
| M:*+966 55 8397888* |

*Bio & Email:* a.hosam <http://goog_1239821962>*@gmail.com*
<http://gmail.com/> | *www.about.me/* <http://www.about.me/ahosam>*ahosam*
<http://www.about.me/ahosam>