[OpenStack Foundation] [Foundation Board] Bylaws change proposed at next week's OpenStack board meeting to support Open Infrastructure project confirmation

Allison Randal allison at lohutok.net
Mon Apr 8 17:20:46 UTC 2019

We talked about this in the board meeting today, and thought that
"Except as necessary" at the beginning of the sentence is sufficient for
the bylaws to express that open meetings are the norm, and executive
sessions are only for special limited circumstances. But, since our
process for the Gold and Platinum Member candidacy is to always schedule
an executive session, that might create an assumption that we will do
the same for project confirmation. We thought the best place to be
explicit that open meetings are the normal process for confirmation
review would be in the process section at the bottom of the project
confirmation guidelines:

https://wiki.openstack.org/w/index.php?title=Governance/Foundation/OSFProjectConfirmationGuidelines

I volunteered to make a first draft, so here is a bullet point, to add
just after the point "Representatives of the pilot project will attend a
discussion meeting with the Board..."

======
The discussion meeting will be an open meeting. The Board, the
Foundation staff, or the pilot project may optionally request an
executive session for part of the meeting, if some discussion topics
have special sensitivity for legal or privacy reasons.
======

The idea is that we'll refine the wording here on the mailing lists, and
then the Board will vote on the wording change to the confirmation
guidelines at the same Board meeting where we vote on the Bylaws wording
change.

Allison