[OpenStack Foundation] Vancouver Summit Joint Leadership Meeting Update

Lauren Sell lauren at openstack.org
Mon Jun 25 04:57:28 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

I apologize for the delay in sending this update from the Joint Leadership Meeting (Board of Directors, OpenStack Technical Committee, OpenStack User Committee) that happened May 20th, just prior to the Vancouver Summit. We covered a lot of important topics and already have a few updates since the meeting, so I’d like to summarize the latest. 

Quick View of Decisions
There’s a typo in the bylaws that conflates ATCs and Individual Members. A proposed change will be put on the next Individual Board Director election ballot.
For the Denver Summit, the week of April 29th 2019, we’re going to try co-locating the Summit and PTG rather than hosting separate events. The tentative plan is for the Summit and Forum to take place Monday-Wednesday and PTG to occur Thursday-Saturday.
The Board is forming a working group to add more structure and better articulate the strategy around adding new projects under the Foundation and expects to meet in September to review plans.

Full Summary
First, we introduced new members across the Board, TC and UC. Ruan HE from Tencent is our newest board member, because Tencent recently became a Platinum Member of the Foundation. Newly elected members of the Technical Committee include Mohammed Naser, Graham Hayes and Zane Bitter. Finally, newly elected members of the User Committee include Amy Marrich and Leong Sun.

Next we covered a quick piece of legal business to address fixing a typo in the section of the bylaws that describes who can vote for the TC (3.b.i of appendix 4 https://www.openstack.org/legal/technical-committee-member-policy/). It says “An Individual Member is an ATC who has had a contribution approved,” which is the inverse of the relationship between Individual Members and ATCs. It should say “An ATC is an Individual Member who has had a contribution approved.” The Board authorized the secretary (Jonathan Bryce) to put this correction up for approval alongside the upcoming elections for Individual Board Directors (because it’s a time when we get a significant amount of the electorate engaged in voting). If approved, we could officially make the change following the elections in January 2019.

Next Mark Collier and I provided an update on the Foundation strategy following the strategic planning work that happened across the Board, TC and UC in 2017. We specifically covered the the “4 steps to integration” introduced at the Sydney Summit (1-Defining joint use cases, 2-Collaborating across communities, 3-Building the required new technologies and 4-Testing end to end). In six months, the community has made significant progress through activities such as the OpenStack + Containers whitepaper[1] documenting several cross-project use cases, publishing the edge cloud computing whitepaper[2] documenting edge architectures, releasing the OpenStack provider for Kubernetes and getting OpenStack into the CNCF cross-cloud dashboard, organizing community leadership meetings at KubeCon, launching Kata Containers[3] 1.0 release, making Zuul an independent project, hosting OpenDev CI/CD and contributing to OpenLab and the cross-community OpenCI efforts. You can find more information on the Foundation website, openstack.org/foundation.

At the Summit, we also planted the seeds for future efforts around lifecycle management and edge computing with Airship and StarlingX. If you are interested in following these new projects as they form up, you can subscribe to the public mailing lists[5][6] for these projects.

Matt van Winkle and Melvin Hillsman gave an update from the User Committee[7] about their goals and current activities. Highlights include changes to the Active User Contributor (AUC) criteria to recognize a broader set of contributors, engaging more closely with the Ambassadors and User Group Leaders and helping kick start the extended maintenance effort for OpenStack releases. Melvin Hillsman also provided an update about OpenLab[8], a cross-community testing effort that has already improved gophercloud, Kubernetes and BOSH/Cloud Foundry support for OpenStack. He is seeking contributors and use cases for testing.

In 2016 and 2017, we introduced a new model for developer and user collaboration at events, which bifurcated the pre-existing Design Summit model into the Forum (co-located at each Summit) and the Project Teams Gathering (a new event hosed between each Summit). We’ve successfully hosted three Project Teams Gatherings and have received positive feedback from event attendees, but we’ve also received a lot of feedback from contributors and member companies who are unable to travel to or sponsor four events each year. We reviewed community survey data and discussed options in the meeting, and the joint leadership meeting attendees voted to try co-locating the Summit, Forum and PTG starting at the Denver Summit, the week of April 29th, 2019. In the meantime, the next Project Teams Gathering and co-located Ops Meetup will take place the week of September 10th, 2018, and the Berlin Summit will take place November 13-15th.

Finally, we wrapped up the meeting by brainstorming potential future changes to the OpenStack Foundation mission statement (which is separate from the OpenStack project mission statement) that more broadly encompass the new open infrastructure and integration strategy. For next steps, the Board is forming a working group to add more structure and better articulate the strategy around adding new projects under the Foundation and expects to meet in August or September to review plans.


[1] https://www.openstack.org/containers/whitepaper
[2] https://www.openstack.org/assets/edge/OpenStack-EdgeWhitepaper-v3-online.pdf
[3] https://www.katacontainers.io
[4] https://www.zuul-ci.org
[5] http://lists.airshipit.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo
[6] http://lists.starlingx.io/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo
[7] https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1-xQApxg3xY3jBagID3PO1MCJiFYPaAw8yHmFdtMj8Pc/edit#slide=id.g3918ddfd12_1_28
[8] https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/12y6iTTvff4fzHiN31KApoO8JayZOsJySZugtLBc6XnE/edit#slide=id.g38df4e06e9_0_51

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/foundation/attachments/20180625/d202f5c1/attachment.html>

More information about the Foundation mailing list