[OpenStack Foundation] PTG Board of Directors Meeting

Graham Hayes gr at ham.ie
Mon Jan 29 16:38:06 UTC 2018

On 27/01/18 09:21, Allison Randal wrote:
> On 01/25/2018 09:44 AM, Graham Hayes wrote:
>>
>> What were the objections to running the meeting the day before, like
>> is traditionally done before a summit?
>
> Actually, it was the other way around: Monday during the PTG was raised
> as an option at the Sydney F2F board meeting, and no one objected. We
> did discuss it, and there were a mixture of factors involved. Originally
> we were planning for this meeting to be joint with the TC and UC again,
> and would have automatically excluded Monday as an option for that. But,
> when it dropped back to more of a procedural meeting, there were fewer
> conflicts. And, while we didn't have to do the meeting at the PTG, about
> half of the board members were planning to be at the PTG anyway, and for
> the rest co-locating means they get more contact with the technical side
> of the project than they might naturally tend to get.

These are all very good reasons to have it at the PTG - I am not
disagreeing with that portion.

I just don't remember a decision at the SYD meeting about the day - I
remember a short discussion and moving on.

I have tried to keep up to date with board developments, but for a
normal member of the community, this is very hard to do with actually
dialing in or attending - and I would be doing the projects I work on a
disservice by missing PTG sessions for this board meeting.

> Personally, I didn't object to Monday because in the past I've found
> doing a full day of board meetings on Sunday before a full week of
> technical meetings to be a bit grueling. I know for others meeting on
> Monday meant they could spend Saturday with their families before
> traveling to the PTG on Sunday.
>
> AFAIK, this is the first time we've tried this pattern, and we may not
> repeat it. But, it did seem worth trying.

I would personally support not doing it again, (or if possible this time
either).