[OpenStack Foundation] PTG Board of Directors Meeting

Alan Clark ACLARK at suse.com
Thu Jan 25 00:54:23 UTC 2018

Jim,

Thank you for communicating your concerns.

We recognized the potential impact both positive and negative that a board meeting has at an event.  This impact is not something that we take lightly. That’s why this topic is regularly discussed at the board meetings and via polls and emails.

As the board discusses when and where to hold F2F board meetings it is not an easy decision and involves many different factors of consideration.  The points you raise are a good sample and, interestingly, are arguably both reasons for and against holding a board meeting at events.  For example, we do recognize the time impact of holding the meetings during an event but also, as you noted, that F2F discussions are needed for conversations which are difficult to have any other way.  At the same time board members, as you pointed for all of us, have limited time, funding and travel approval. Over the many discussions for meeting dates and locations such limitations brings consensus back to holding them at the events.

I (and the board members) do take your concern seriously. I want you to know that I have been and will continue to work with the staff and board members to try to schedule the meeting date, time, length and topic(s) schedule so as to minimize the impact as much as possible, enabling the board members to contribute to their key meetings and discussions at the event.

Regards,
AlanClark