[OpenStack Foundation] [OpenStack][Diversity] 5/19 Work Group meeting summary and next steps

Barrett, Carol L carol.l.barrett at intel.com
Thu May 26 23:02:50 UTC 2016

All - We held a work group meeting on 5/19/16 with 7 people attending [0], the agenda is located here [2]. The full text of the meeting can be found here [1].

Here is a summary of the discussions:
Future Meetings: The team discussed various options for on-going team working sessions and agreed to use a combination of ML and etherpad for future team collaboration. There are still some details to be worked, but the plan is to send on the ML the agenda along with an etherpad link which will be used to capture the discussion for each agenda item. At the end of the week, a summary and outcome of the discussion will be published. I think the open issue is frequency of these discussions. We agreed to evaluate how this is going in 3 Months (end of August).

Ease of On-boarding New Community Members: Mike Perez provided an update on the work underway to create a portal that the Community can populate, targeted at helping newcomers to discover info and become contributors. The portal will support all of the ways people contribute to the community, including: translations, meet up organizing, working on defining use cases for features in OpenStack, code, etc.  The idea with this that we're envisioning is a portal that gives you a "choose your own adventure" kind of feel what are you interested in contributing to? Based on your selected interests of what you want to contribute to the portal will highlight the "essential" on boarding documentation that people need to contribute.  Add'l info from Austin discussions [3] and example documentation [4]. Details are being worked, more updates as they become available.

Austin Discussion Review:  There were a couple of proposals that resonated with the people on the IRC:  The need for an OpenStack Welcoming Committee to support new comers in the Community (or people new to an area of the Community), Increase the amount of content and training delivered via Videos instead of Text, Explore co-sponsoring events/activities with the Women of OpenStack because their programs (ex. Mentoring) provide benefit to the entire community and are open to all.

You can find these notes here in the etherpad log for the meeting  here [6]. Pls review and add comments by 5/3. The agenda and timing for the next discussion will be send on 6/6.

All feedback welcome.
Carol & Team

[0] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/diversity_work_group_meeting/2016/diversity_work_group_meeting.2016-05-19-16.01.html
[1] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/diversity_work_group_meeting/2016/diversity_work_group_meeting.2016-05-19-16.01.log.txt