[OpenStack Foundation] OpenStack mentoring efforts and Upstream Training for next OpenStack Summit

Victoria Martinez de la Cruz vkmc at redhat.com
Wed Jul 27 14:51:57 UTC 2016

Hi all,

The OpenStack Summit is rapidly approaching and I wanted to chat about the
different mentoring efforts that are happening in the OpenStack community
before it in order to unite forces and make the best for all of them.

As the OpenStack Summit in Austin we had

- Mentoring within internships like Outreachy and Google Summer of Code
-- Duration: 3 month length
-- Target: Underrepresented groups/Students respectively interested in
contributing to OpenStack
-- Mentors: Volunteers each round, not fixed list
-- Coordinators: vkmc, mahatic, devdatta, dims
- WOO light-weight mentoring + Speed-mentoring
-- Duration: Not defined
-- Target: People getting involved with OpenStack, with no prior experience
in contributing to open source
-- Mentors: DB of mentors
-- Coordinators: ekhugen
- Upstream Training
-- Duration: 2 days training before OpenStack Summit
-- Target: People getting involved with OpenStack, with no prior experience
in contributing to open source
-- Mentors: Volunteers each edition, not fixed list
-- Coordinators: Volunteers each edition, not sure how this is defined

How can we merge all the efforts together?

Now, with regards to Upstream Training for the OpenStack Summit. Is there
any update about this training? Who is taking the lead this time? I see
that [0] shows information from latest round. Ildiko and I wanted to join
this edition too and we want to be ready to help whenever we can with it.

Best,

Victoria

[0] http://docs.openstack.org/upstream-training/