[OpenStack Foundation] Updating the OpenStack Mission Statement

Silence Dogood matt at nycresistor.com
Fri Feb 12 00:56:21 UTC 2016

Agreeing with Dean Troyer is generally something I find myself doing.  He's
a smart dude.

That being said, making openstack easier to install / maintain is probably
the first and foremost thing openstack needs to worry about.  Without an
eco-system of smaller / medium users to keep the project grounded
enterprise requirements will destroy the code base.  It has, in my opinion,
already done great harm.

That being said, if OpenStack wants to be a VMWare competitor, as seems to
be the case from enterprise desires.  I am all for that.  I don't care what
direction OpenStack takes.  Whether it's in my personal technology future
depends entirely on whether or not it makes sense to push workloads to it.
Currently, and for the first time in 5+ years it doesn't make sense to.  I
don't even want to run OpenStack at home, because it takes so much of my
time to keep it up in even a small environment.  Whether OpenStack ends up
going after AWS, Docker, or VMWare, and really you need to pick one. It
needs to be easier and less human heavy in cost to deploy and run.  It's
needed it for five years.  We have SIMPLE cosmetic tickets such as
https://bugs.launchpad.net/horizon/+bug/1017606  which have only JUST now,
4 years after having been logged in launchpad, been handled.

You ask an operator ( the guys running the environment ) to rattle off some
hate, and they all have a list they can come up with from the last month
alone.  But, the real issue... is asking someone who failed to install
openstack what hung them up.  Because I assure you, there are far more
people who have failed to deploy OpenStack than have succeeded.  I've met
plenty of them.  Some of them big orgs.  But more importantly... most of
them the little and medium business guys... who whether you believe it or
not are worth a hell of a lot more to this project than any enterprise
partner.

-Matt