[OpenStack Foundation] Updating the OpenStack Mission Statement

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 00:27:39 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 5:46 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> For those of us who, years ago, warned about the dangers of "enterprise"
> workloads -- i.e. pets -- not being a good fit for OpenStack, and how the
> future was cattle workloads and cloud-native apps, this article kinda hit a
> nerve.

I hear a lot about making OpenStack "Enterprise Ready", and you are right
Jay, that is not where we started. Spending the amount of resources we are
today for the last 20-??% of ESX capabilities is starving other things we
need to do to or should have done years ago.

The desire to be all things to all people is strong, and leads us to a
place where we are only mediocre at best to anyone.  What market is
OpenStack the _best_ at today?  After 6 years of trying we should have
nailed at least one of them by now.  (This is a real question, I'm not on
the product side of the community and don't know.)

So back on-topic... let's not be "ubiquitous", as Roland mentioned.  The
"works well at all scales" makes me nervous too, but doing a smaller set of
things in a scalable manner may be achievable.

"To produce an Open Source Cloud Computing platform that is
easy to use, simple to implement, interoperable between deployments,
works well at all scales, and meets the needs of users and operators of
both public and private clouds."

And follow that by beefing up the work on "easy to use" and "simple to
implement", IMHO even ahead of becoming the enterprise's OSS alternative to
(or front-ends for) VMware ESX farms.  After all, it's in our mission
statement, and those are the first two things listed that we want to do!

dt

Also, the thing in that article that hit me the most was Cockcroft's
comment about not making things easy for developers soon enough.  I wonder
if we are really doing that yet anyway?

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com