[OpenStack Foundation] Updating the OpenStack Mission Statement

Anni Lai Anni.Lai at huawei.com
Thu Feb 11 23:35:28 UTC 2016

I agree with Boris and Mark.

In my view, there are some problems with the latest mission statement:

1. It's too broad.  I think the mission statement should cover the "key" value proposition instead of listing capabilities.
2. The word "instances" can be confusing. There might be questions re. if we are referring to only  "OpenStack instances" or not.
3. There are grammatical errors  in the statement. "To produce a ubiquitous Open Source Cloud Computing platform."  is not a sentence.

Here is the latest mission statement from the discussion thread:
"To produce a ubiquitous Open Source Cloud Computing platform. It should
be easy to use, simple to implement, work well at all scales, be
interoperable between instances, and meet the needs of users
and operators of both public and private clouds."

Sorry, I think we still need to work on this a little more,

Anni Lai

Does anybody share a concern that the current mission statement is a bit too generic and broad?

Once this mission statement is published, I can see headlines "OpenStack will fail because it aims to be all things to all people. Updated mission statement confirms it's inevitable doom."

Can we explore options to tighten it up?

-Boris

To produce a ubiquitous Open Source Cloud Computing platform. It should
be easy to use, simple to implement, work well at all scales, be
interoperable between instances, and meet the needs of users
and operators of both public and private clouds.
This final version sounds fantastic to me.  What do you think?