[OpenStack Foundation] Updating the OpenStack Mission Statement

Shamail itzshamail at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 18:58:14 UTC 2016

> On Feb 7, 2016, at 12:34 PM, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:
>
>> On 02/07/2016 11:25 AM, Tim Bell wrote:
>>
>> Completely agree… we should have operators and users in mind as part of the mission.
Agreed as well... Sorry for jumping in a bit late... but would it make sense for the mission to include the four opens or at least mention "through open design that fosters community"?  I agree with Allison that a mission statement generally contains the "what" versus the "how".  While it shouldn't contain "how" (as in implementation/method), having a "how" that defines the path towards achieving the mission serves as a good guide post.  The four opens are at the very core of our community and the mission should indicate our core values if possible.

>> The operator side of things is now well underway (and moving well with good foundation staff assistance).
>>
>> A board/user committee F2F topic for the future could be how to address the ‘user’ experience. While the API working group is one part, building the user/partner ecosystem is vital.
>>

>> Can we envisage an OpenStack re:Invent about using OpenStack (and nothing else) ?
>
> That would be fantastic!
+1

>> Tim

>>> It is for that reason that I believe that underscoring the importance of
>>> both classes of 'user' in our mission is essential. Both classes are
>>> essential to our effort, but it's easy to fall into the trap of only
>>> considering one or the other.
Thanks,
Shamail