[OpenStack Foundation] Updating the OpenStack Mission Statement

Allison Randal allison at lohutok.net
Mon Feb 1 21:41:37 UTC 2016

On 02/01/2016 03:50 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> The "and progressively evolve" seems superfluous. That's part of how we
> would produce OpenStack, and so I think we can trim the statement a bit
> by removing it.

My understanding of the discussion was that the main point to add was
"embracing a diversity of technologies", essentially making it clear
that the Big Tent approach is a core part of OpenStack's mission. The
"rapid evolution" part was more along the lines of expressing a desired
outcome of Big Tent.

I tried working "technical diversity" in several different ways, and all
seemed to make the statement obtuse and impenetrable. Better to be clear
and crisp.

> I'm not sure "that meets the needs of public and private clouds"
> is targeting the right object, grammatically. Clouds don't need
> things. People who deploy, operate, and use clouds need things.
>
> I prefer the "serving the cloud users' needs" phrasing rather than
> "easy to use", both because it actually mentions people and because
> ease of use is only one of many needs a user may have.
>
> So, I propose:
>
>   To produce the ubiquitous Open Source Cloud Computing platform
>   that meets the needs of users and operators of public and private
>   clouds of all sizes by being simple to implement, massively
>   scalable, and interoperable.

I like the emphasis on meeting the need of users and operators. I'd pick
this over Rob's draft.

> If there's strong support for adding "easy to use" to that list
> after "by being", I won't object.

The wording on meeting the needs of users covers that aspect, we can
skip the repetition.

Allison