[OpenStack Foundation] Summit split

Jonathan Bryce jonathan at openstack.org
Wed Apr 20 19:25:46 UTC 2016

Hi Mark,

The way we ended the discussion in the last Board meeting is that Foundation staff was going to take the next step to start looking at what the implementation of a Project Team Gathering would look like. This would help us clearly answer some of the questions that were coming up (when would it happen, what would it do to the Ocata release cycle timing, what kind of funding would be required, what kinds of venues would be appropriate). I just posted an update on some of this to the Board list earlier today, and we were planning to discuss again at the upcoming meeting on Sunday. I think it does make sense to cover it in the joint meeting with the TC and UC members, so thanks for adding it to the agenda there, Tim.

In terms of something being “pushed through as a fait accompli,” as we’ve covered in the last 2 Board meetings, this discussion has been going on seriously in the technical community for over a year now. This really accelerated in early 2016 on several openstack-dev mailing list threads with a general consensus emerging that there were quite a few benefits to adjusting the release cycle and giving the project teams additional dedicated, focused work time. As mentioned in the other thread, the first such event would be almost a year from now, so all together we’re talking about nearly two years of open discussions among multiple groups from start to implementation.

Looking forward to continuing the discussion in Austin,

Jonathan