[OpenStack Foundation] [openstack-dev] [board][tc][all] One Platform – Containers/Bare Metal? (Re: Board of Directors Meeting)

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Tue Apr 12 12:32:27 UTC 2016

On 11/04/16 18:05 +0000, Amrith Kumar wrote:
>Adrian, thx for your detailed mail.
>

>Yes, I was hopeful of a silver bullet and as we’ve discussed before (I think it
>was Vancouver), there’s likely no silver bullet in this area. After that
>conversation, and some further experimentation, I found that even if Trove had
>access to a single Compute API, there were other significant complications
>further down the road, and I didn’t pursue the project further at the time.

Adrian, Amrith,

I've spent enough time researching on this area during the last month and my
conclusion is pretty much the above. There's no silver bullet in this area and
I'd argue there shouldn't be one. Containers, bare metal and VMs differ in such
a way (feature-wise) that it'd not be good, as far as deploying databases goes,
for there to be one compute API. Containers allow for a different deployment
architecture than VMs and so does bare metal.

>We will be discussing Trove and Containers in Austin [1] and I’ll try and close
>the loop with you on this while we’re in Town. I still would like to come up
>with some way in which we can offer users the option of provisioning database
>as containers.

As the person leading this session, I'm also looking forward to providing such
provisioning facilities to Trove users. Let's do this.

Cheers,
Flavio