[OpenStack Foundation] [board][tc][all] One Platform – Containers/Bare Metal? (Re: Board of Directors Meeting)

Allison Randal allison at lohutok.net
Mon Apr 11 14:43:44 UTC 2016

> On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 1:11 PM, Davanum Srinivas <davanum at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Reading unofficial notes [1], i found one topic very interesting:
>> One Platform – How do we truly support containers and bare metal under
>> a common API with VMs? (Ironic, Nova, adjacent communities e.g.
>> Kubernetes, Apache Mesos etc)
>>
>> Anyone present at the meeting, please expand on those few notes on
>> etherpad? And how if any this feedback is getting back to the
>> projects?

It was really two separate conversations that got conflated in the
summary. One conversation was just being supportive of bare metal, VMs,
and containers within the OpenStack umbrella. The other conversation
started with Monty talking about his work on shade, and how it wouldn't
exist if more APIs were focused on the way users consume the APIs, and
less an expression of the implementation details of each project.
OpenStackClient was mentioned as a unified CLI for OpenStack focused
more on the way users consume the CLI. (OpenStackSDK wasn't mentioned,
but falls in the same general category of work.)

i.e. There wasn't anything new in the conversation, it was more a matter
of the developers/TC members on the board sharing information about work
that's already happening.

Allison