[OpenStack Foundation] [magnum] Seek advices for a licence issue

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat Apr 9 15:26:16 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-09 15:02:03 +0000 (+0000), Hongbin Lu wrote:
[...]
> Recently, one of our contributors suggested to extend the Mesos
> support to DCOS [3]. The Magnum team is unclear if there is a
> license issue for shipping DCOS, which looks like a close-source
> product but has community version in Amazon Web Services [4].
[...]

Their EULA at https://docs.mesosphere.com/community-edition-eula/
indicates (item 4 subpart ii):

    "Licensee will not (and will not allow any third party to) [...]
    (ii) sell, assign, distribute, provide, lease, lend, disclose,
    use for timesharing or service bureau purposes, or otherwise use
    or allow others to use for the benefit of any third party, any
    Licensed Software (except as expressly and specifically
    authorized by Mesosphere)."

So without explicit permission from Mesosphere it doesn't seem like
the OpenStack community including Magnum developers can legally
redistribute DCOS Community Edition at all, regardless of whether
it's within the bounds of our community norms (which I also feel
like it isn't).
--
Jeremy Stanley